My husband and I are foodies or shall I say “whole foodies” and we absolutely love Trader Joes. We have always said that we want our home to always be near a Trader Joes and luckily that has been possible in our life. Since having our baby boy, my husband has voluntarily done the grocery shopping for us, which has been so helpful to our family. There are so many great whole foods that you can find there, at a reasonable price. As I write this, I am literally sipping on their coconut water. Below is a list of what you will find in our cart. I would love to know what is in your grocery cart?
- Coconut water- This magical drink helped me so much with energy, while I was pregnant and also during the postpartum period. I even drank it while I was pushing my baby out. Crazy, huh?
- Fair Trade Organic Bolivian Blend Coffee- I prefer organic coffee. I like knowing that it hasn’t been treated with pesticides or chemical fertilizers. It also has many nutrients from the soil it grows in. When something is fair trade, you know that the workers are being treated fairly and paid a decent wage. I drink conventional coffee when I go to coffee shops, if they don’t have organic, but since most of the time I drink it at home, I make this brand of coffee in the french press and roast the beans fresh, each day.
- Hemp Seeds and Chia Seeds-I love sprinkling these into my oatmeal each day for some added protein, fiber, and omega fatty acids. I also love making chia seed pudding.
- Unsweetened shredded coconut- I sprinkle this in my oatmeal too and in any sweets that I make.
- Fair Trade Organic cacao Belgian Dark Chocolate Bar and Unsweetened and Unsulfured Mango- I try to have these in moderation, but they are a healthy treat to have, when I am craving something sweet. I like this chocolate bar because it doesn’t contain any soy lecithin, which I avoid, because there is some debate about whether soy effects the thyroid. The mango is also just pure mango with no added sweetener. I also love their dried prunes, raisins, and dried apricots. Please excuse the half eaten package in the photo above. It is just that good!
- Spices-I love that Trader Joes has so many spices and these are my favorite ones-Black Peppercorns, Ground Cinnamon, Red Pepper, Red Chili Pepper Flakes, Ground Cumin, and Sea Salt. My absolute favorite is the Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend. I like to sprinkle some on avocado or to add more flavor to a meal. There are so many benefits to spices and they can make typical vegetables and grains taste more flavorful.
- Organic Virgin Coconut Oil-I cook everything with this oil, because it can be cooked at high temperatures and has a smoking point of 350 degrees Fahrenheit. It also has so many benefits. It helps my hands stay soft, especially in the winter months. Here are 77 ways you can use it.
- 100% Greek Kalamata Extra Virgin Olive Oil- This olive oil tastes absolutely delicious. I love to dip fennel in it or add it to salads. I also sprinkle it on avocado. As an Italian, Olive Oil is something I feel is important to have daily, even if it is from Greece. It has many benefits, as well.
- Fennel-I grew up eating this and dipping it in Olive oil with black pepper. It is such a delicious, healthy, crunchy, snack and is great for breast milk supply.
- Organic Black Bean Pasta-This is an easy meal, when I am pressed for time. It feels like you are eating regular pasta, except it is only made from black beans. I add some tomato sauce and you have yourself an amazing meal.
- Raw nuts-I think we have bought every raw nut that you could possibly buy from Trader Joes. I like to add them to my oatmeal or eat them as a snack. Here is an article on the benefits of nuts .
- Manuka Honey- This stuff is magical, as well. I have used it for colds, burns on the skin, and blemishes on my skin. You can see more about the benefits here.
We also buy a lot of produce-organic kiwis, oranges, bananas, and cherry tomatoes. Sundays is our shopping day! What day do you do your shopping?