It still amazes me that I am a mother. It took us five months to get pregnant and that time of waiting was very challenging. It feels surreal knowing we have a baby boy and we are so grateful. I have watched kids, taught kids, entertained kids, and been around kids most of my life, but being a mom is totally different than I could have imagined. Here are the top 10 things I have learned as a mom.
- I never knew how much I could love another being- so much that I would sacrifice sleep, showers, me time, eating, etc. It is an all encompassing job to be a mom, but so rewarding at the same time.
- My baby’s smile lights up my life and his giggle gives me energy, even when I am exhausted. It is the best feeling to see his smile when he wakes up.
- Even if I spend hours trying to get him to sleep, I miss him when he is sleeping.
- I’ve learned to let go of my agenda or my idea of productivity. Spending time with him is productive too. He teaches me to stay present.
- It surely takes a village. I have friends that I text through the ups and downs and don’t know what I would have done without help from my mother and mother in law.
- Weird things work to get babies to sleep. For some reason our baby loves falling asleep to the La La Land Soundtrack-who knew?
- Everything is trial and error and it changes day to day. It feels amazing to discover something new that calms your baby or gets them to sleep, but it could change the next day.
- Babies are very aware. When I am even grinning, my baby grins. Sometimes I try to hide my smile, when he is getting into sleep mode, but he somehow senses it and smiles.
- Enjoying a cup of coffee each day fills me with energy. I know some people don’t have it, but it really brings me joy!
- There are so many resources for everything you are going through with your baby and each one gives you a new perspective. The hardest part is deciphering what advice to listen to.
What has parenting taught you?